How I deal with depression
I have been dealing with anxiety and depression since I was 17. I am now 47.
My latest depressive episode was due to having sinus surgery on the 10th of February. I have had numerous side affects including:
- 3 haemorrhages in hospital and a second procedure on the 11th of February to quarterize my nose
- Hypomania from my antidepressant that I have been on for 11 years interacting with the general anaesthetics (I had 2 procedures with 24 hours)
- 2 trips to Emergency Departments due Hypomania – on one occasion I found bruises all over my legs and thought that I was haemorrhaging again
- Terrible facial pain from the nerves in my face, possibly Trigeminal Neuralgia resulting in 1 trip to an Emergency Department and a CT Scan of my sinuses
- CT sinus scan showed that my surgery was sound, with my airways clear, no infections and no source of pain
- Being diagnosed with depression due to these nasty side affects
- Not being able to get an appointment with a Psychiatrist until the 30th of April – every time I could not get an an appointment I would go into a hypermanic episode.
The good news is:
- I have a wonderful husband whom cares for me and took me to hospital when I thought I needed to go (he joked that I love Hospitals)
- My Hypomania is now under control due to 4 different scripts of depression and pain blocking medication and a wonderful GP who sees me twice weekly
- I managed to get 2 appointment with a Psychologist whom has helped me to manage my situation
- I have an appointment with a Psychiatrist next
- I have an appointment with a Neurologist next week
- I have a wonderful family that has supported me (2 adult sons, my wonderful husband and my dogs).
I learnt to paint with acrylics in 2007 and took painting lessons in exchange for Business Coaching. I like to wind down by painting florals and seascapes.
I also crochet, play Farm Heroes, walk my 2 dogs and complete puzzles in “That’s Life Magazines”.